Thursday, November 4, 2010

Grateful Motherhood

When I found out I was pregnant I instantly felt all would be well. I knew it was the right time in my life for a child to be added to our family. Very early in my pregnancy I also decided or is chose a better word? that I would be grateful for every moment of pregnancy whatever the experience. The 9 almost 10 months that I carried Saylor went really well in part because of the wonderful care I received from the two midwives who were my care providers and in part because my wonderful husband supported and encouraged me every day.

My attitude of gratitude has continued since Saylor arrived in our lives. I have chosen to soak in and enjoy all my moments with Saylor. Even when he is over tired and crying I can kiss him, cuddle him and know that these moments will pass. When I change his diaper and he pees on his clothing I can choose to get upset or I can laugh and grab a clean shirt.

Some how Saylor is approaching the 6 month mark and he is changing and learning something new every day. I have been told that time passes quickly when you have a child, and "they" are right. I don't want to blink or look away the next thing I know he will be walking.

I am going to continue being grateful for the opportunity to be Saylor's mother. I will smile at him as often as I can and express my joy in having him in my life every day. I have found that when I am tired or hungry and I forget to be grateful that is when I feel impatient and cranky. I remind myself to be calm and take a deep breath and return to being grateful for having my sweet son in my life.  This isn't always easy but it seems to help when I need it most. I spend a lot of time reading blogs and articles online and when I see something sad happen to a child and their family this serves as another reminder that I want to be grateful for my experiences as the parent to a wonderful child. I will maintain my attitude of gratitude as often as I can and when I forget I will be gentle with myself and remember that I can be grateful in my motherhood.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said. I couldn't agree more with you. I to have to remind myself to be grateful. Adele has her moments (BOY DOES she have her moments) and it's so hard to remain calm and at times I lose it too.. but last night as I cuddled her in bed, I cried, my baby is gone, and I have a little girl who is growing so fast, and I want it to all stop and freeze this time with her. Enjoy every moment!

    ReplyDelete