Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Apple cookies for breakfast

This is a recipe that I remember my mom making for me as a child and not long ago I asked her for the recipe and in fact she is still making these yummy cookies for her own breakfast many years later.
I know posting a recipe is a first for me but this is great tasting, healthy and easy to do so I really wanted to share it.

The recipe originated from a Weight Watchers meeting many years ago and my mom has changed it over time.

Apple Breakfast Cookies

1/3 of a cup powdered milk
1/3 cup quick oats or 1/2 cup regular oats
1/8 tsp baking soda (a pinch)
1/8 tsp cinnamon (I increased this to a 1 tsp)
2 tsp of sweetener...(I am using honey and it works fine)
1 small apple grated (it takes a bit to really figure out how much apple u will need
too much apple and the cookies run while being baked)
2 tsp butter

mix the batter up a bit and spoon onto your cookie sheet (I like cooking them on foil no cooking spray needed, I tried it and made the bottoms of the cookies really dark)
flatten slightly
oven at 350 c and cook for 20 minutes..and devour them


a picture of the hand written recipe :)


one loan cookie left after breakfast

I have found this is something that Saylor really enjoys for breakfast and so do I!

**Editited August 31 2012**

After making this yummy cookie for a while now I have started to make my own variations. I now add, ground flax, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, dried apricot cut up, dried dates cut up and raisins. I don't always add all of these ingredients each time. I don't measure the quantities just eyeball it. I have found with these additions the cookie is more filling.
Posted by Picasa